Scarelicious Halloween Pumpkin Spice Cake with Light Cream Cheese Frosting
Make this adorably spooky cake for Halloween. It's fast and easy to bake using a simple cake mix and pumpkin puree instead of oil.
Ingredients99% less residue baking spray with flour or
non-aerosol cooking spray
1 yellow cake mix
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom (optional)
1 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
2/3 cup skim milk
2 tbsp. extra virgin coconut or canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
Light Cream Cheese Frosting
1 – 16 oz. package confectioner’s sugar (4 cups)
4 oz. 1/3-less fat cream cheese
½ tsp. vanilla
food coloring, paste, or liquid in Halloween colors
DirectionsI. Lightly spray a regular or nonstick Bundt cake pan with 99% less residue baking spray. If using non-aerosol cooking spray, dust pan lightly with flour, set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 325 F. Whisk cake mix together with spices until combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk pumpkin together with milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl and beat all ingredients together on medium speed of an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not over beat mixture.
4. Pour batter into pan and smooth out top. Bake at 325 F for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
5. Remove cake from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert cake pan on rack, remove pan, and finish cooling. After cake has cooled completely, pipe using a frosting bag and round tip or drizzle frosting onto cake and top with Halloween candies or sprinkles.
6. While cake is cooling, use an electric mixer, to beat powdered sugar together with cream cheese, vanilla, and food coloring at high speed until smooth and coloring is blended into frosting, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1 to 3 tsp. skim milk or water to thin frosting, if you are planning to drizzle.
NutritionNutrition Information: 1 serving with 2 tbsp. frosting: 285 calories; 6g fat; 62g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 4g protein; 45mg cholesterol; 270mg sodium.
Original Nutrition Information: 450 calories; 22g fat; 66g carbohydrate; fiber; 4g protein; 75mg cholesterol; 400mg sodium.
Light Cream Cheese Frosting Nutrition Information: 2 cups or 16-2 tbsp. servings at 130 calories; 2g fat; 28g carbohydrate; 0g fiber; 1g protein; 5mg cholesterol; 30mg sodium
Frosting Original Nutrition Information: 2 tbsp. serving: 226 calories; 8g fat; 35g carbohydrate; 0g fiber; 1g protein; 22mg cholesterol; 70mg sodium
Cook’s Note: You can use a 99% less residue no-stick baking spray with flour on all baking pans, including nonstick. This product will not damage nonstick pan surfaces.