Light Eggnog Rum Cake
This eggnog rum cake is good enough to give as a gift. Just make sure to make extra for your family or gifts may come up missing.
Ingredients99% less residue no-stick baking spray with flour (optional)
1 yellow cake mix made with pudding
1 cup fresh eggnog
½ cup dark rum (You can replace the rum with ½ cup additional eggnog.)
1 tsp. real vanilla
¼ tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
Candied Almonds – optional
1/3 cup sliced almonds
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. egg white
non-aerosol cooking spray
Rum Eggnog Glaze
¾ cup sugar
1 tbsp. whipped butter
3 tbsp. dark rum
¼ cup fresh eggnog
DirectionsI. Lightly spray a regular or stick-resistant Bundt cake pan with floured cooking spray, or if using regular, dust with flour, and set aside. If using a nonstick pan, spread 1 tsp. vegetable oil over surface and dust with flour. Note: You can use a 99% less residue no-stick baking spray with flour on all baking pans. This product will not damage nonstick surfaces.
2. Preheat oven to 325 F. In a mixing bowl, whisk mix together with nutmeg until combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk eggnog together with rum, egg, egg whites, and vanilla until combined.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl and beat all ingredients together on medium speed in an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Do not over beat mixture.
4. Pour batter into pan and smooth out top. Bake at 325 F for 38 to 45 minutes or until cake tests done. Remove cake from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert cake on to serving plate and remove pan.
5. Prick top of cake with fork or tooth pick, then spoon or brush glaze evenly over top and sides of cake. Allow cake to absorb glaze. If using, sprinkle candied almonds over top of cake. Spoon and drizzle remaining cake and nuts.
Candied Almonds: Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment. If using a nonstick pan, spread 1 tsp. vegetable oil over surface or line with parchment.
2. Put almonds in a small bowl and toss together with sugar, egg white, and salt. Place nut mixture on baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes. Remove pan from oven and stir nuts. Return to oven for an additional 6 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool.
Rum Eggnog Glaze: Combine sugar, rum, and butter in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly for 4 minutes. Remove from heat, cool 15 minutes, and then whisk eggnog into mixture.
NutritionNutrition Information with Candied Almonds: 261 Calories; 7g fat; 4g protein; 42g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 22mg cholesterol; 250mg sodium
Original Nutrition Information: 370 calories; 19g fat; 4g protein; 42g carbohydrate; 1g fiber; 62mg cholesterol; 271mg sodium.
This recipe is so easy and delicious you won’t believe it’s lower in fat, calories, sugar and cholesterol. I. Rather than making a cake from scratch, this recipe uses a yellow cake mix. You can use any brand of yellow cake mix. I personally like the Betty Crocker Super Moist. Box cake mixes are so well engendered do not need to add the called for ½ cup of oil or butter without compromising the cake’s ability to bake correctly.
2. I replaced the 1 cup water the box recipe called with 1 cup eggnog (regular not light). The added fat in the eggnog helps keep the cake moist without adding butter or oil to the recipe.
3. In addition, to the eggnog, I’ve also added a small package of instant pudding. The pudding mixture also helps adds moister to the cake and they are a traditional ingredient added to Bundt cakes, which tend to be heavier than a regular layer cake.
4. This is a rum cake, so I’ve added ½ cup gold rum to the cake ingredients. When you are rehabbing a cake recipe, you want to keep the ingredient ratios equal to what’s originally called for. That way you don’t end up with a cake that is too dry or too wet. For this recipe, it works out perfectly with 1 cup eggnog replacing the water and ½ cup rum replacing the oil for a total of 1½ cups liquid.
5. The box recipe calls for three whole eggs, however, I’ve added an extra egg to give the pudding a little extra moister. Eggs are a perfect food. They are low in fat and although high in cholesterol, they do not increase human serum cholesterol as once believed. Fresh whole eggs give baked goods a richer texter than egg whites. Which only add volume.
6. The glaze is made with only two tablespoons real butter rather than ¼ to ½ cup.
7. The Eggnog Rum Glaze also contains ¼ cup less sugar than the traditional recipe.
8. The Candied Almonds are made using egg white rather than butter or oil to bind the caramelized sugar to them while baking.