Carne Asada Street Tacos
Here is a fast and easy South of the Boarder recipe for Carne Asada Street Tacos you can make in 60 minutes using canned green chilies or purchasing made Salsa Verde.
Ingredientsfood-grade plastic wrap
non-aerosol olive oil or other cooking spray
1 ½ to 2 lb. flank steak, trimmed of fat
1 ½ to 2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. Mexican oregano, crushed*
¼ to ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
4 large cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided into ½ tsp.
12 to 16 stone-ground 5 to 6-inch corn tortillas
24 to 32 tbsp. crumbled low-fat or regular feta cheese
1 small red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
8 to 10 thinly sliced radishes – optional
Crema Mexicana (Mexican table cream) – optional
fresh cilantro sprigs – optional
fresh limes, cut into wedges for squeezing – optional
Salsa Verde – optional (Next Blog Post)
- In a small bowl mix 1 ½ to 2 tsp. kosher salt (depending on size of steak) with crushed Mexican oregano, and fresh ground pepper. Divide mixture in half and set aside.
2. Cover a cutting board with plastic wrap. Lay flank steak on wrap. Sprinkle top of meat evenly with half of kosher salt mixture.
3. Use your fingers to gently work/massage salt mixture and 2 cloves garlic into the meat’s surface. Flip steak over and repeat process with remaining half of salt mixture and garlic. Wrap steak securely and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours or transfer to refrigerator and chill overnight. Remove steak from refrigerator and allow to sit at room for 1 hour.
4. Before grilling, remove plastic wrap from steak and lightly brush both sides with ½ tsp. olive oil. Allow meat to sit uncovered while grill is heating.
5. Lightly spray grill with cooking spray and preheat to 450 F degrees. Sear steak 2 to 3 minutes per side for rare to medium-rare.
6. Remove steak from heat to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Slice steak across the grain at an angle. Your slices should be wide and about ¼-inch thick.
Traditional Nutrition Information: 4 oz. skirt steak; 2 flour tortillas; 4 tbsp. queso fresco; 1 tbsp. sour cream, 2 tbsp. Salsa Verde at 750 calories; 39g fat; 56g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 45g protein; 101mg cholesterol; 1368mg sodium